How to apply to the McBride Honors Program!
The McBride Honors Program focuses on the sophomore, junior, and senior years, and there are various ways for students to join the program:
- Students in the Thorson First Year Honors Experience receive priority consideration for admission to McBride, although admission will be contingent upon space available and academic performance. Thorson students do not need to submit a separate application, since we already know you well. To request admission, compose an email requesting that you be considered, explaining why you would like to join McBride, and sharing what you will bring to our community. Send it to: email@example.com by the application deadline of February 17, 2017.
- All Mines Freshmen students, even those who did not complete the First Year Honors Experience, can apply to the McBride Honors Program, and will be admitted on a space-available basis. Complete the applicationto the right.
- Transfer students and CSM sophomores or juniors can also apply to the Program, but they should probably speak to the program staff about how to best move through the program and graduate on schedule. We make every effort to make the McBride experience accessible to these students, though admission is contingent upon space available. Complete the application to the right.
However you come to us, joining the McBride Honors Program is a privilege. We seek the best and we expect the best, so admission is competitive. To be eligible, you’ll need to maintain a cumulative 2.9 GPA and demonstrate a deep personal commitment to exploring the world around you.
When we evaluate applications, we look for academic excellence, but that’s not all. We’re seeking outstanding students who exhibit genuine intellectual curiosity, leadership potential, community engagement, diversity of experiences and perspectives, respect for others, and effective communication skills. We look for student leaders who will give to the program and who will thrive in the program.
When we admit students, we are making a commitment to their success. So we want students who are going to thrive and who are going to contribute something meaningful to the program and our community.
Here are a few things to know:
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis any time. However, students seeking to join the program during a fall semester are advised to submit their applications by the advertised deadline.
- Students may be asked to participate in an interview before being accepted.
- Be sure to check out our website thoroughly before you apply, and be sure to read our FAQ page, which includes many hints about applying as well as important information you should know.